Thank you for your interest in adopting one of our rescued Danes! We look forward to getting to know you better through the application below. A volunteer will reach out to you once your application is submitted.
Before submitting your application, please read our "All About Adopting" page for more information about timeline and what to expect during the application process.
Please note, in order to be considered for adoption you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Live within our service area (Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, and Wisconsin).
- Have the knowledge and consent of all adults in your home.
- Have landlord consent (if applicable).
- Although we would prefer to adopt to families with children over 8, we will still accept applications from families with younger children. If you have children under 8 the application approval process will be more in-depth.
- Pay the non-refundable $25 application fee, either via PayPal (through our "Donate" page) or mail.
- Have two positive personal references.
- Have a positive reference from current veterinarian.
- Not have intact dogs in your home.
- Home visit must be completed. (If an applicant has changed residence since the time of initial application, or if 5 years have passed since the last home visit, UMGDR reserves the right to require another home visit prior to processing an adoption request.)
- Intend to keep your adopted Dane as an indoor dog, not to live outdoors or in a garage.
All completed adoption applications and home visit evaluations are the confidential property of UMGDR. These completed forms are shown to volunteers on an as-needed basis. At no time, unless it is court ordered, does UMGDR share this information with another organization, inquiring individual, or the applicant.
Please note that an application does not constitute a hold on a certain Dane. Once you are approved, you may then indicate interest in one of our Great Danes available for adoption. Approval may take up to 3-8 weeks. Thank you!